Misfortune

Fortune Magazine recently came out with their Fortune 500 list of the largest companies in the United States.  It’s worth noting the domination of companies “fueled” by the auto industry, as they represent 6 of the top 10 largest companies:

Screen Shot 2013-09-05 at 8.23.28 AM

Exxon was started in 1870 by John D. Rockefeller.  An entire industry and really, a way of life, was created as a result.

How many trillions of dollars in profits have been made since? And how many trillions of pounds of CO2 have been released into the atmosphere?

The auto/petroleum industry is the most powerful on the planet.  There are disrupter industries coming onto the scene- like electric cars and solar and wind energy.  They are gaining traction and we must support them to the fullest extent we are able, but this is a large ship and it’s going to take a lot of effort to turn it around.

Wind-Farm

Regardless of the feat at hand, I find great comfort in knowing that there are millions of consumers like us who are unrelenting and have faith that we will eventually create a new, sustainable world.

This entry was posted in business, cars, energy, fossil fuels and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Misfortune

1. Catherine Turner says:

The big wind power sign on my local College Park MOM’S in 2005 inspired me to sign up for 100% wind power.

Pressure from below will certainly help, but I think that no serious progress can be made until those who profit from fouling the planet will be required to pay a price for doing so. Passing that cost on to the consumer will quickly change peoples’ buying habits. At the same time, “green” companies should be given the tax breaks and incentives that the big oil companies now enjoy. The whole damn thing is bass-ackwards right now.

I completely agree, John. I’d like to see the price of gas skyrocket, which will go a long way in getting people to change their wasteful behaviors. The electric cars I drive are super cheap to fuel.

• Lee Heefner says:

Hi Scott,
        Just want to say I love the MOM’s store at Jessup…. the produce is the best! First the gold kiwis, then those wonderful figs, then the donut peaches, and the sungold cherry tomatoes…. But when will you get the organic jicama? I’m waiting patiently!

In the meantime, I’m sure I’m not the only one who wants to know how you like your Tesla. Was it really worth all the $$$? I own a Prius, which I’m very happy with, but I have considered getting a Tesla. I think over 20 years, the Prius would end up costing about $70,000. I’m just worried about the reliability since CR hasn’t reviewed Tesla yet although in other areas it’s supposedly outstanding, and the lack of recharging stations. I heard there are a lot between here and Connecticut, but none from here to FLA and none from here to CA… kind of weird, considering the company is based in CA! Please write about your experiences with the Tesla!
        Lee (a very happy Jessup customer)

• Sue says:

Agreed, John.

Lee- I’m liking the Tesla overall. It’s great to drive with incredible acceleration. As with every early adoption, there are issues in service and design that Tesla needs to work out, but it’s a small price to pay for changing the auto industry!

3. Rede Batcheller says:

Scott, I love you and I love MoMs but you need to get some perspective on the whole issue of power and energy. The overall net cost of the inorganic generation of power is so much greater than that of energy derived from organic sources as to be laughable — except it’s not a laughing matter. Example: your “super cheap to fuel” electric car is powered by secondary energy — the primary energy being spent in generating the electricity you “fuel” your car with. The old saying for this is ‘penny-wise, pound foolish’. The truth about ‘green’ as a philosophy is that it is short-sighted, and self-serving, based on only a version of reality — not the real thing — and therefore not amenable to logical disputation outside of its own fallacious and limited set of assumptions. the end of those companies you disparage so confidently, so passionately, would condemn you, MoMs, MoMs customers, and any and everything you actually hold dear to a hell than even Dante could not possibly have imagined. Please, run your stores, your wonderful MoMs, as the great BUSINESS ENTERPRISES they are; make your profits honorably and justly; and sleep well knowing that you are part of the best and kindest redistribution of wealth available to the most and the most just and fair in the universe. With respect, Rede Batcheller, Alexandria VA 22309

Hi Rede. I appreciate your comment, even though I obviously disagree with your assertions about “green”.

• Rede Batcheller says:

Obviously; what we don’t disagree about is that there is a basic idea in “green” that is worthwhile. I believe that unfortunately it has been appropriated by the entrepreneurial sorts on the liberal side of things and as a result corrupted almost beyond recognition. For instance, the wind generation you/MoMs support is a show-stopper — I have photos that prove it — but someone(s) are up to their eyeballs in upset at the birds being decked by the windmills. IF it’s true (about the birds) the windmills should be stopped NOW. AND: there is a perfectly great alternative to the lovely windmills, not nearly as impressive and (in my understanding) useful is far more places than off-shore or in deserts/deserted areas, because it is vertical and moves with the movement of whatever breeze it can sense . . . it was on display at the Botanical Gardens a year or two ago. // MoMs is, in my opinion, an example of what a good, fundamentally honest business based on a philosophy of health and well-being might look like. That I disagree with what you/MoMs do with your profits is part of the American ethos — meaning it’s up to you. And I choose to shop at MoMs — which is up to me. Thank God!